Sunday, March 3, 2013

Race for the Cure

Saturday was cold!
I wasn't real excited about the fact that I'd be running in this. Luckily, the race didn't start until 9:00 so it was around 40. I tried to think about the fact that regardless of how cold it was I was able to run & not having to deal with cancer like so many people out there were. Cold is better than chemo!!!
This is only the 2nd 5K race I've done. The first was back in November 2011 when my hip was hurt & I ran anyway & then could barely walk after I crossed the finish line & didn't run for 3 mos. I finished in 35:20 this time. I want to be faster but I'm trying not to worry about that. Distance is more important. I don't know that I'll do this race again because it was so incredibly crowded. I saw someone with bib number 11,240! It wasn't as organized as I would've thought either. The main problem is that it's a 5K run/walk & everyone was grouped together. It took me 2 minutes to get to a point where I could actually run & that was only because I got out of the mass of people & followed some others through the grass so I could get started. What a mess. It seems like the easy solution would be to have the runners start first & then have the walkers start. Oh well.
My friends Suzy & Maria ran too. They're way fast. Suzy runs a 22 minute 5K & Maria said her fastest was 24 minutes. They had jambalaya while waiting for me to finish! HAHA! There was a jambalaya cooking competition & my friends from work were participating. It's always really good & Saturday was no different. More proof that my taste have changed. I used to not like jambalaya, now I do.

I figured out that I really do like races because there is so much to see. The race was through LSU's campus which is really really pretty so I enjoyed that but the sights I saw were really priceless! There were the people in costumes which were cute but there's nothing like seeing a weight lifter looking dude running in a skirt that isn't a costume, a man in his 50's that was wearing old school sweat pants that were about a size too small with a turtle neck stuck in, BUT hands down the best outfit was the guy that passed me wearing booty shorts that said Destin across the butt. Thankfully, he was wearing tights under them. It was a little deflating to be passed by him. Luckily, I didn't think about that until just now.
On the way home from the race we were good & cold again so we went through the CC's (Community Coffee is a locally owned coffee company in Louisiana & CC's is their equivalent to Starbuck's) drive thru for a guilt free turtle latte. Really good!

I rewarded myself with a nap when I got home & Mexican food after Mass. YUMMO!!!

Toodles!

6 comments:

  1. Yay for you! Good job. I sooo wish I could run. My goal after 10 years surviving breast cancer was to run a 3k. My oncologist told me to go ahead and run but that I would blow out my knees. I "pooh-poohed" that. Well...3 weeks into training I did just that! Worst pain ever and I couldn't even walk. Soooo disappointed in myself. Having said all that? You go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is wonderful, Traci! I'm so proud of you! The fact that it was crowded, hopefully means they made lots of money. And yes, cold is better than chemo any old day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! :) You did great! Love the motto...cold is better than chemo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY to you - i run the 5K for them too - and SO right - cold is better then chemo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the race! What's with all the cold weather down south??? Glad you're enjoying jambalaya now - it's yummy!

    ReplyDelete