Thursday, January 28, 2010

Belize

I knew when we went to Belize that our ship wasn't going to be able to dock at the port because the water was too shallow. We were going to have to take a tender from the ship to where we were going on our excursion. I'm not exactly sure what I was thinking the tender was but when I got out on the very small platform & had to get in a small boat that was bouncing all over the place because of the waves I was a bit nervous! This isn't a good picture but with all the boat movement it was the best I could do. I didn't want my camera to go overboard. This is the tender tied up next to the ship. It was a really bumpy ride, kinda like a roller coaster at Disney!


You can kinda see how small the tender is compared to the ship.

What was even more disturbing than the little boat was the boat driver & his guy that jumps off the boat onto the dock to tie up.


Click on the picture to make it bigger so you get the full effect. When I saw the driver I immediately thought "Colombian Drug Lord" & the other guy, well, there's just not a whole lot to say.

We chose to do what they call a "Beach Break" for our excursion. Basically, they bring you to a beach & you hang out. It was heavenly! We went to Bannister Island.

This was the restaurant/bar


The island was really pretty. There were little tables like this all over the place.


I thought this palm tree was really cool looking!


In case you're wondering, that's a rum punch in my hand. They had those waiting for us when we got to the island.

The water was freezing so this is as far as I went.


We walked out on the pier & took this picture of the beach.


I couldn't get enough of this water! The color is just unbelievable!


I'm not sure why but there was a monkey in a cage on the island too. He was snacking on a banana. If you talked to him he'd look at the camera. It's a good thing there was a couple there talking to him because I wasn't about to.


Remember how excited I was about my hat? You know the perfect beach/pool hat? Well, this was the only time I put it on that day.


Notice I'm holding it? Yeh, that's because the wind was blowing 45 mph. I'm NOT exaggerating! I guess I'll just have to save it for those days when I'm laying by my pool. When it was time to go we had to get back in the tender & go back to the ship. It was a much calmer ride. Something about us going with the waves. We changed clothes & then had to get on yet another boat to take us to the port so we could shop. This boat was bigger & was closed in. There were no suspicious characters on it either. The one thing that caught my attention while shopping was the pharmacy. We went in to see if we could buy some Aloe Vera. I figured after all the laying out I was doing I'd be needing it. There was a sign with all sorts of prescription medicines listed. Amoxil, Lexapro, you name it, they had it! I thought about picking up some Amoxil but thought better of it. I had always envisioned the drug selling to be really shady with mexicans selling it out of their trunks.

We found a cute restaurant that had an upstairs deck so we stopped & had drinks. Dean had something called a Zombie & Cliff & Sheri both had Miami Vice's. Come to find out I've been drinking Miami Vice's for years & didn't know it! In the Carribbean that's what they call a pina colada & strawberry daiquiri mixed together!


I had a Pina Colada & it was delicious!!


Thursday was Cliff's birthday & we had reservations at the steak house on the boat. Since it was a little fancier we decided to dress up. This would be when you can see the "color" I got from laying out in Belize. I'm literally a "red neck"!


I'm also red chest, red arm, red leg & red spots on my feet. Apparently, aerosol sunscreen doesn't cover well in 45 mph winds. In this picture you can see just how white I really am normally so you can see just how burned I was/am!


Isn't that lovely? Moving along, this was after dinner. In the main dining room there was a chocolate buffet set up. I've never seen so much chocolate in one place!


There was white chocolate, dark chocolate & milk chocolate.




The ice sculptures were amazing too. Especially this one!


I can't imagine how long it took to make that!

When we got back to our room the towel animal guy had done another good job.

I thought the little piggy was appropriate after all that chocolate!!

Stay tuned for Cozumel!

2 comments:

  1. I really don't understand WHY you didn't want to talk to the monkey. HA! HA! A chocolate buffet -- OMG! And the towel animal... I'm glad they decided to go to towel school. They are getting much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah!!! When we went on our cruise we found out about the Miami Vice thing too!!! I forgot all about that.

    ReplyDelete