Monday, September 8, 2014

Saints Kick Off

Friday night Dean & I went downtown to have dinner & go to Live After Five. Every Friday night someone is performing live. Friday night was Mark Broussard. The weather was nice  & it wasn't brutally hot & humid. We at Lucy's Retired Surfer Bar. 

How cute is my drink. "Da Killer Blue Whale". It was delicious! We didn't stay too late because I had a 4:30 am wake up call. Me & a bunch of friends were running in the Saint's Kick Off 5K in New Orleans. 


Me & Allie. The weather was surprisingly good. Humidity was only 75%. I say only because lately it's 95% when I run. 

The race ended inside the Superdome on the 50 yard line. It was fabulous to run into an air conditioned building!

There were over 5000 people participating in this race. It was supposed to start in waves based on your estimated finish times. Well, it started in waves but it was by wherever you ended up climbing over the barricade. I was perfectly content to start in the back. The problem was getting to the back. It was just a mob scene. Shauna & I started together in the 3rd wave. Everyone else in our group was going to either walk or walk/run.I checked my watch a couple of times so I knew I was running well & I wanted to keep it up. I crossed the finish line & immediately received a text from the race telling me that my time was 30:51. I was really excited because that is a PR! Later in the day when the official results was published it showed my time as 30:50. I'll take it! The only thing I can figure is that once you cross the finish line there were 2 different mats & I stepped on them both. I'm guessing the first one is the "official time" & the second one was what got texted because it was the last thing I touched. Who knows! I was 56th our of 367 in my age group & 1228 out of 5119 overall. One day I'll get in the 20's. I'm not sure how close my watch was to the official time because as soon as I ran in the dome it lost the satellite signal. No biggie. 
Shauna, Allie, me, Allison, Caroline, Karen & Catherine. Just some of our group.

The entire group!

Allie & I took a pic under the goal post in the Dome. It was neat being on the field. The artificial turf was soft & spongy. I wish I could run on it all the time. I don't think I'd ever be sore. 

Saturday night we went to some friends to watch the LSU game. I didn't watch too much of the game. I was visiting & hanging out with this little guy.

Bentley is 4 months old & our friends daughter just got him. He got in my lap & laid there over an hour. He's a Chi Weenie & those ears of his make me laugh every time I look at him. 


He was out for awhile. 

Sunday Scott & Lydia & some friends came to eat & swim. 

Karley & Kenley are twins & Kamryn is a few years older. They're so sweet. Logan loved playing with them. 

The girls take gymnastics but I was really surprised when Karley went cart wheeling into the pool. No fear at all!


They jumped & jumped & jumped & had Dean & Scott throwing them all over the pool. 

It was such a fun weekend but it just went by too fast. Isn't that always the case?

I got up bright & early & got my run in. 


I'm not as worried about my speed being slower. Saturday showed again that I run faster in a race regardless of how slow my training runs are. Hopefully, with the combination of cooler weather & a race I'll do good in the Half in October. 

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment